The Ultimate Guide for Choosing a Home Pool Table
You've decided that you want to buy a home pool table. That's great! Now what? This guide walks you through choosing the perfect table for your needs. Learn the various factors to consider when making your purchase. By following our tips, you are sure to find something you, your family, and your friends will love.
Determine What You Want in a Home Pool Table
You can find pool tables in a wide range of shapes, sizes, and price tiers. When determining which model will work best for you, start with the answers to these questions:
- Why did you decide to buy a pool table?
- How often do you believe you will use the pool table?
- Will the household alone use the table or do you plan to entertain?
- What table would you find most suitable for the demographic you plan to entertain?
- What are your personal preferences and priorities?
Set a Realistic Budget
A pool table is a significant purchase, so consider all related costs. These can include delivery, installation, and accessories. Factor in the price of any furniture you might need to accommodate your home pool table, such as cue racks or a pub table. Total costs can vary from $1,000 to about $15,000 or more.
Choose the Right Size Table
One of the most important factors to consider for choosing a pool table is size. Ensure you have enough space to accommodate both the table and players comfortably. To get an idea of how much space you'll need, use this sizing guide as your starting point:
- 7’ Tables need a room at least 16.5’ by 13’
- 8’ Tables need a room at least 17.5’ by 13.5’
- 9’ Tables need a room at least 18.5’ by 14’
- Remember - a full-size cue is typically just under 5 feet long... so including a little room for a back-stroke - you’ll need around 5 feet of space on all sides. You can get short cues if space is a little tight for those shots right up against the rail if you don’t have a room big enough, however, that's not ideal.
Pick Your Pool Table Style
Now that you know the size of the home pool table you need and have set a budget, it's time to start thinking about the decor! Pool tables come in various styles, from classic wood designs to modern interpretations. Consider the style of your home and game room when making your selection.
Other factors to keep in mind when choosing a pool table style include:
- The playing surface bed material (slate, wood or composite)
- The table's finish (laminate, wood veneer or paint)
- The type of legs (metal, wood or none at all!)
- The rail style (boxed, half-boxed or open)
Check Out a Few Brands
Once you've considered all of the above factors, it's time to narrow down your home pool table options by brand. Valley pool tables are a standard and premier choice for pubs and other business locations. They made it easy for business owners to monetize having a pool table by adding a coin feature. Now, the company also makes home models for pool lovers who like the aesthetic and familiarity of a Valley table at home. (or see below - there is a strong market for the resale of used Valley tables - just take the coin mechanism out for continuous free play)
Another trusted name in the world of pool tables is Brunswick and if you are looking to become a serious player, the Diamond and the new Predator Apex Table are great options. Whichever brand you choose, be sure to do your research and read online reviews before making your final decision.
Try Out a Few Tables
Photos, videos, and reviews can help you narrow down your options. Nevertheless, nothing beats actually using the table. You likely already know what you love from frequenting pool halls, but not all brands make their commercial tables and their residential tables in the same way. Test out as many as possible to see which brand works best for you.
Review the Benefits of Buying Used vs. New
If you're on a tight budget, you might be considering a used home pool table, or maybe you've come across a beautiful vintage table that you can't resist. There are benefits and drawbacks to both new and used tables, so it's crucial to weigh your options carefully before making a purchase.
Keep in mind these points when deciding whether to buy new or used:
- The condition of the table
- The age of the table
- The type of wood used in construction
- The features and accessories included
- Delivery and installation costs
Shop Around for the Best Price
Now that you know how to choose the perfect home pool table, it's time to get out there and start shopping. Take your time, compare prices and get a feel for the table before making your final purchase. With a bit of patience and research, you're sure to find the perfect pool table for your game room.
Refurbish an Old Valley Pool Table
If you're an experienced pool player and reasonably handy, consider buying and refurbishing an old Valley pool table. These tables are known for their quality and durability, so you can be sure you'll get your money's worth. With a bit of work, you can turn an old table into a beautiful piece of furniture that will last for years.
How To Refurbish an Old Valley Home Pool Table
At first glance, refurbishing a home pool table might seem like a daunting task. However, with the right tools, skills, and YouTube videos, you are well on your way to creating a masterpiece. These are the basic steps to follow:
- Sand down the table's exterior surface (not the playing surface) to remove any dirt, grime, or old paint/stain.
- Apply a new finish (paint, stain, or varnish) to the table. You can go for a classic wood look or get creative with different colors and patterns.
- Replace the felt, also called cloth, with a new color or fabric.
- Install new pool table lights to brighten up your game room.
- Add new pool cues, chalk, and other accessories to complete the look.